University of Minnesota Extension is pleased to announce the schedule for the third year of its popular Nitrogen Smart program. (Lynn Betts, U.S Department of Agriculture via Flickr)
GAYLORD, Minn. — University of Minnesota Extension is pleased to announce the schedule for the third year of its popular Nitrogen Smart program. Nitrogen Smart is an educational program designed to provide the information necessary to evaluate nitrogen fertilizer options. Farmers attending this program learn how to maximize profits from nitrogen applications while minimizing environmental impacts. These workshops deliver high-quality, research-based education so producers can learn:
- Sources of nitrogen (N) for crops
- How nitrogen is lost from soil and how you can reduce losses
- How to manage nitrogen in drainage systems
- What the new Nutrient Reduction Strategy and Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan means for Minnesota producers
- Practices to refine nitrogen management, including split applications, alternative N fertilizers, soil and tissue testing and N models
Nitrogen Smart is offered through a partnership between University of Minnesota Extension, Minnesota Corn Growers, and the Minnesota Agricultural Water Resource Center. The three hour program will be offered in 11 locations around Minnesota starting on February 14.
2018 locations and times in Central and Southern Minnesota include:
- Mar. 1, Thursday, Rosemount, UMN Research & Outreach Center Headquarters Building, 1:00-4:00 p.m. ***This meeting will have an irrigation focus***
- Mar. 12, Monday, Olivia, Renville County Gov’t Services Center, Room 116, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Mar. 13, Tuesday, North Mankato, South Central College Conference Room, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Mar. 16, Friday, Cologne, Carver County Extension Office, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Mar. 20, Tuesday, Ellendale, Ellendale Community Center, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Attendees will receive “Nitrogen Smart” designation, which will be good for three years. There is no cost to attend due to generous support from the Minnesota Corn Growers. No pre-registration is required. For more information and exact locations you can visit: z.umn.edu/NitrogenSmart.
For a complete listing of the workshops offered throughout the state, check the University of Minnesota Extension Nutrient Management website at z.umn.edu/nutrientmgmt or call the Farm Information Line at 1-800-232-232-9077. In case of inclement weather, please check these sources for any weather-related updates.
For more information on Nitrogen Smart, please contact Brad Carlson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-389-6745) or Jason Ertl (email@example.com or 507-237-4100).
— Brad Carlson, Extension Educator in Crops and Jason Ertl, Extension Educator, Ag Production Systems, University of Minnesota Extension
Source: Morning Ag Clips